Friday, 11 February 2011

The Little Red Book

ED WEBSTER wrote The Little Red Book, which had a chapter explaining how to work each of the twelve steps. Dr. Bob thought it was the best description of how to work the steps that had ever been written. He sent copies of it all over the U.S. and Canada with his recommendation. Until Dr. Bob's death in 1950, he insisted that the New York A.A. office make copies of this book available for sale through their office.

I can remember the time when such a thing as this would full me with shock and terror, a replacement for the Big Book? Surely to God NO!!!
How could they?

Well they couldn't, nor did they try to. The little Red Book isn't supposed to be a replacement for the Big Book, its more of a companion. Although its total different, I guess you could draw a parallel with the Twelve and Twelve. One a view from Bob, one from Bill.

For me, I like the Little Red Book, or at least most of it, and that's the point. I don't need to like all of anything any more, I can make use of what's useful and leave the rest without the desperate desire to change it. That's why I eat a double decker the way I do.......................