Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Heroes

As a child growing up in the wild west country, the cotswolds to be more precise, I had heroes, people I looked up to and wanted to be like. This I believe was a total normal thing, as it is now. But my heroes have changes a tad since then. The days of Steve Austin the six million dollar man and the legendary Arthur Fonzarelli are sadly gone, but all hope is not.

As the years slipped by, many came in an effort to replace these mighty childhood heroes. Many came, and many pasted until on day the hero of all heroes came. 

We live in an age where illness and deformity are commonplace and yet, Ploppy, you are without a doubt the most repulsive individual I have ever met. I would shake your hand but I fear it would come off.  Edmund Blackadder can to our screens in June 1983. A fact based drama it told the historic tail of a once great man. As the years unfolded these fact based dramas followed the Blackadder family through the ages. Strangely enough  Edmund Blackadder was always called Edmund Blackadder, but I guess facts are facts and id much rather see and hear the truth.

So in a homage to this great historical giant, and personal hero to me, lets take some time to muse over some of his wise words.

Don't be absurd. Such activities are totally beyond my mother. My father only got anywhere with her because he told her it was a cure for diarrhoea.

I have erred and strayed like a lost ox... I have coveted my father's adultery... I have not always honoured my neighbours ass.

Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

They do say, Mrs. Miggins, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head.

Of course there are many many more words of wisdom, I'll leave you to find your own.