Saturday, 18 September 2010

Self saluting

The tobacco smoke enema, an insufflation of tobacco smoke into the rectum by enema, was a medical treatment employed by European physicians for a range of ailments.
Tobacco was recognised as a medicine soon after it was first imported from the New World, and tobacco smoke was used by western medical practitioners as a tool against cold and drowsiness, but applying it by enema was a technique appropriated from the North American Indians.
The procedure was used to treat gut pain, and attempts were often made to resuscitate victims of near drowning. Liquid tobacco enemas were often given to ease the symptoms of a hernia.

Talk about bringing a new meaning to the phrase blowing some up your arse. Its an odd thing how we can be so very sure something is a great idea at the time then a little further down the line it turns out to be a dumb as you like. I guess smoking has been like that for many folk, for sure over the years its been like that for me.

I remember the hard work I had to put into learning to smoke and why I bothered. The truth of the matter is it was just so cool I couldn't resist. Obviously I knew it was not that good for my health, but it was cool and at the tender age of twelve that was enough. I have to admit, if I had to smoke through my arse, I may never have tried it, no matter how cool people told me it was. Probably not.

History seems to be littered with stupid ideas, and I like that. I know as a race mankind have come up with a ton of great life changing, mind blowing and revolutionary inventions and ideas that have changed the word, but I still prefer the dumb fuck-up ones because once in a great while you might just stumble on a stroke of pure genus.

The almost brilliant self saluting hat is a case in point. Just imagine walking along and you see a nice lady and BAM, you tip your hat without having to move your hands. Believe me this is something someone, somewhere gave so much consideration to, he invented the hat.

Now obviously it didn't turn out to be a rip roaring success, but nevertheless it was still invented and for that matter protected by patent. We have a whole world full of this kind of thing. Some from the minds of the genius, some from the mind of the mad man. I don't think its that important what kind of mind ideas come from, the important thing is the ideas continue, no matter how totally insane they seem to be at the time.