Sunday, 8 August 2010

The money shot

Finishing work on Friday afternoon last week was the same as most weeks, I had very little idea how the weekend would pan out, and I am fairly happy to keep it that way. More often then not, when I make idiot proof  plans, I end up getting involved  with the inevitable results. So I trudge my  way through what ever comes up and mostly things work out OK, although not always. This weekend has been one of the mostly, in fact this weekend has been a good one.

Yesterday was spent indulging in one of the loves of my life. At 7.15 I left home with Mr D and we set off to spend the day sat in committee meetings serving the fellowship we both love so very much. To the people reading this that don't understand, trust me when I say it's an absolute privilege to do some of the stuff I'm able to do both for fun, and for free. By the time we got home it was close to ten and I happily plodded to bed completely knackered.

Then came Sunday and the chance to spend the day with Jack, and what a great day it's been. Loading Mr D and the little Jack man in the car we headed to Moors Valley to meet up with a couple of our closest friends and their two most wonderful children. Every time I see Jack and Millie together my heart melts, It's an amazing thing to see them growing up together.
In a life where I do my best to live in the moment of each day, this really is the money shot.

Then tonight after a journey to Argos for a child gate, we took the side from Jacks cot and converted it in to a bed. In my usual way I pestered Mrs D with the absolute necessity for a safety bar in case he fell out. And in her usual way, she ignored me and put him to bed. We just went to have a peek and sure enough he's sound asleep and looking so grown up it makes me shudder.

I don't blog about my other two children firstly because I don't think it's right and secondly because I don't know how they would feel about it, after all this is a blog about me, not them. What I will say though, is that I have in the past proved myself to be woefully lacking on the parental front. So often I feel I've been given another chance to be a great Father, not good, not OK, great. I don't know if I ever will be, but I know I'll keep doing my best. It seems the result of doing my best is weekends like the one I just had. I like that, I like that a lot.