Wednesday, 9 June 2010

The severed link.

It's took me over a year but I've finally done it, yesterday the link between my Twitter and Facebook account was severed once and for all. No longer will you see an @ before every status update on Facebook because I couldn't be arsed to log in and simply did everything on Twitter letting the link between them do the rest. Yet another example of my ingrained laziness, a laziness that openly mocked these hugely different words.

In other news, someone sent Mrs D a couple of really cool AA sobriety chips for us all the way from Melbourne today, he even put a little fluffy kangaroo in for Jack. Why? simply because he was asked, how amazingly cool is that. This is someone neither myself or Mr D have ever met in the real word, only the world of Twitter. I like that, I fact I'm a huge fan of that sort of thing. It kind of underlines how small the world is getting and that the days of face to face communication are slipping away.

Of-course that's not to be used as an excuse to avoid all human contact, we all need a bit of that from time to time. My thinking is that rather then a replacement for face to face contact, what social networks offer is a chance to expand our relationships far beyond what was possible in the past. Twitter, Facebook, Bebo, Myspace the list goes on and on. I don't think it matters so much what we use, it's more about making the most out of whatever technology has to offer. The days of the Luddite are gone and I for one am grateful.