Wednesday, 12 May 2010

No Maico 490

Just been spending a bit of time trudging through some on-line stuff and stumbled across a my space account I set up in 2006. I remember doing it thinking I'll give this on-line stuff a go and see if I can get on with it. Believe it or not, It was only around this time I set up an email account. Skip forward to 2010 and I can honestly say without Twitter, facebook, Blogs etc, etc, I'd be most perturbed. Not to mention laptop, desktop, iphone, wifi, the list goes on and on. It looks like I've turned into a bit of a geek and I've got to say, I like it.

I guess I've always been a fan of cool stuff and lets have it right, a lot of the tec out there is cool to the extreme. Obviously, if it's got an apple on it, it's a bit cooler. Few could argue with that, could they? But what about all the other stuff? Believe me when I say the world of cool tec related on-line stuff just keeps growing and growing.

But what about the days before the multi core processor, the laptops carved from a slab of aluminium with a light drizzling of unicorns blood? What did we have before? The old folk would have us believe all that was needed to impress was a small stick, possibly with a screwed up bit of newspaper to fashion a ball of sorts. This, in my experience, is bollocks.

For me the first real bit of tec that got my attention wasn't what you would really call tec at all. In fact it was a moto cross bike. In 1981 the Maico 490 stepped into my word. Louder that thunder with a engine scream that would put brown moist spots in the pants of even the hardest of hard men. It was a bastard of a bike to start, a pig to ride and a fucker to keep down. But Jesus was it fun.

We don't hear much about the Maico 490 any more. Maybe that's because most of the people who loved it, were killed by it. Or perhaps the way it vibrated at full pelt shuffling your internal organs like a deck of cards in hands of Paul (Debbie McGee!!!) Daniels had it's affect. I don't know, what I do know is my days of mounting such beasts are well and truly over. And I've got to say Im OK with that. So now I sit surrounded with tec in my happy little world. No Maico 490 and no moist brown pants.