Sunday, 11 April 2010

Recovering or recovered

Whats this thing about recovering or recovered. I smile to myself when i listen to people in so called recovery who then go on to say "I'll never recover, I'll always be recovering"

I guess it depends where people take direction and how they define recovery from Drug addiction and or Alcoholism. For me the solution was found in a twelve step fellowship using the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I listen to people again and again sharing how they work the steps out of the Big Book but will never recover. Surly they must be reading a different book. Either that or they haven't really worked the steps yet.

We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book. ( Big Book forward)

Again and again the Big Book refers to members who have recovered, yet we still have people in the rooms shouting loud and clear, " we never recover, we will always be recovering" I wish in no way to fall out with anyone, so if that's you, that's  you.

If however, you are one of those people who work the twelve step program as laid out in the Big Book, please remember we need you. Without recovered members we have nothing but war story's and sickness to offer the new comer.

Lets all try and consider the second half of the forward to the first edition above, once more, To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book.